Postdoctoral Research Position in Coherent X-ray Scattering and Imaging
The Fohtung Research Group has an opening for a condensed matter physics Postdoctoral Fellow with a research focus on Coherent X-ray Scattering and Imaging at Synchrotron and X-ray Free Electron Laser (XFEL) photon facilities. The ideal candidate is expected to develop theoretical and numerical aspects of advanced characterization techniques such as X-ray photon correlation spectroscopy (XPCS), time-resolved Bragg coherent diffractive imaging (BCDI), and phase retrieval. Therefore, we seek a motivated candidate for this postdoctoral fellowship to develop and test new methods for 3D spatiotemporal, in-operando and in-situ studies of topological defects, relics and emergent phases in device nanostructures at near-nanometer resolution by using XFELs and synchrotron photon sources.
Job description: A POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER position is currently available in experimental x-ray physics and Materials characterization with the Fohtung Research Group at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). The working language in the lab is English.
The position: In-operando and in situ Coherent diffraction imaging of topological defects, relics and emergent phases in device nanostructures at near-nanometer resolution by using the X-ray Free Electron Lasers (XFEL) and synchrotron photon sources.
- Developing new methods for phase retrieval
- Applying those methods to phasing experimental data from XFEL and synchrotron sources
- Taking part in data analysis and experimental campaigns
- Disseminating results Requirements
- D. in relevant research areas of synchrotron x-rays, experimental condensed matter physics, biophysics, x-ray optics, or phase retrieval, etc.
- Expertise in imaging theory
- Good team player
- Ability to communicate research results in an effective way
- Inventive, innovative and willing to explore new ideas. Self-motivated with a strong interest in developing new imaging methodology by using next-generation light sources in the US and Europe.
Conditions: Full-time employment under the contract shall be one year, renewable upon review of achievements. Salary based on experience and demonstrated capability. Salary, terms, and conditions shall be determined according to the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) employment policy. Please email your CV, cover letter with research interest to Prof. Edwin Fohtung, firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Reference letters will be asked for before the phone interview.
Start of employment: Immediately but also negotiable. Applications are now being accepted. The position will remain open until it is filled.